Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Preparation for Colon Blow

In addition to dietary restrictions, before the colonoscopy I need to clear my entire GI tract. Yesterday Mary asked me if I'd need to have an enema, I pointed out that the process I'll go through today was sort of like an enema with the fluid going in the other side, I'll be taking laxatives, fluids and TriLyte according to a set schedule which will leave me needing to be near a bathroom for most of the afternoon and evening.

As I reread this, it sounds like I'm complaining, and to be honest, I'm not. I'm sure this isn't, and won't be, a pleasant process, nausea, bloating and cramps are common parts of the "flushing" experience before a colonoscopy. But I really do look at this as being easier than having colon cancer, and easier than having more intrusive surgery, and from that perspective, it's almost a relief to know that polyps--tissue that might later become cancerous, will be able to be addressed sooner (if necessary) rather than later.

About an hour ago I prepared the TriLyte. This is a prescription medicine that consists of a 4-liter plastic jug (like a big plastic milk jug) with a bunch of powder in the bottom, and a couple of "flavor packets". Preparation consists of adding a flavor packet (one of the provided five flavors) to the powder already in the jug, filling the jug with water, mixing it, and cooling it. It sounds simple, and it is, but there is something a bit intimidating about filling a gallon jug of something that I know I'm going to be drinking later today.

There are five flavor packets, orange, lemon-lime, cherry, citrus berry, and pineapple. I'm told that the nature of the electrolytes in the TriLyte solution are bad enough that these will only slightly aid the palatability of the fluid, and while I got a couple recommendations that the orange was the "least chemical" of the bunch, I've boldly decided to go for the citrus berry. You'll also want to chill the liquid if you can before drinking it, I'm told, apparently this makes the taste less awful. I did add warm, not cold water, when I mixed the TriLyte to get the powder to dissolve completely (that took more shaking of the jug than I expected), but it'll have a few hours to chill in the refrigerator before I get to enjoy it.

Oh, and the mixture looks ... soapy!

Oh, anticipation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am recovering today from my colonoscopy completed this morning. The actual procedure was not bad at all. The prep, as you may have guessed, is the most unpleasant part. A few additional tips, for those reading this blog, to make the prep easier to get through: first purchase the softest toilet paper you can. After the 5th visit to the bathroom, you will thank me. Also, you may want to purchase some aloe baby wipes and desitin or gold bond ointment. You rear may become sore after so many trips to the bathroom. THIS NEXT TIP IS MOST IMPORTANT!!! Get yourself some Female pads. YES, even if you are a man. They now come in ultra-thin and are very absorbent. They are applied to your underwear via an adhesive strip and are hardly detectable, however, they are a necessity because you will have accidental leaking. This will save you from messing your sheets/clothes. TRUST ME ON THIS!!! Other than that, stay home and close to the bathroom. Good Luck!

Colon Cleansers said...

I really do look at this as being easier than having colon cancer, and easier than having more intrusive surgery, and from that perspective, it's almost a relief to know that polyps--tissue that might later become cancerous

Anonymous said...

Good Post colonoscopy also rad this